Connect
To Top

Exploring Life & Business with Daniel Vargas of Operation TRIAGE

Today we’d like to introduce you to Daniel Vargas.

Hi Daniel, can you start by introducing yourself? We’d love to learn more about how you got to where you are today?
I served 20 years in the United States Air Force. I retired in 2007, but while I was still on active duty, I started working with and volunteering in helping with the war wounded returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. Since 2004, I have been working with veterans from all conflicts in dealing with emergency quality of life issues.

Can you talk to us a bit about the challenges and lessons you’ve learned along the way. Looking back would you say it’s been easy or smooth in retrospect?
It has not been smooth. Less than 1% of the American population has served in the armed forces, getting the other 99% to understand the issues veterans face is a daily struggle.

Appreciate you sharing that. What should we know about Operation TRIAGE?
Operation TRIAGE was established in 2016 as a non-partisan/non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.

Operation TRIAGE’s mission is to provide emergency advocacy and financial relief, mortgage free homes, and home remodeling/ renovations to disabled veterans, first responders, and active duty service members with a focus to get their lives back on track and become productive members of their communities.

Operation TRIAGE partners with corporate sponsors, builder associations, builders, developers, individual contributors, and volunteers to help these heroes and their families succeed in their challenging new world so they may ultimately enjoy a productive and rewarding life.

Operation TRIAGE was created out of need for determining quick solutions to issues facing Active Service, Veterans & First Responders who have been Injured, Ill and are in need, and their Families.

Operation TRIAGE works with other Veteran Service Organizations (VSO’s) to help identify and expedite assistance for shelter needs and mobility. In addition to VSO’s Operation TRIAGE works with professional organizations and associations to inform, identify and expedite appropriate solutions to these needs.

Operation TRIAGE also works to advise and enhance current assistance, such as insurance damage claims, to assure coverage includes the latest building & local code requirements, current and future needs of the occupants and coordinating with local trades and volunteers to maximize the project effectiveness and ability for the Family to feel comfort and secure.

Operation TRIAGE believes by removing any emergency financial and other burdens from these heroes, we may help turn the tide of suicide and promote Family balance.

Why we are needed?
Active duty members of the military, veterans and first responders are disproportionately affected by suicide. Here are some quick facts about how suicide affects America’s heroes:

Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. military. Although military suicide rates were once lower, they are now twice as high as the general population, according to the Center For Deployment Psychology of Uniformed Services University.

About 20 veterans commit suicide every day. Suicides in the army increased 80 percent between 2004 and 2008, according to Department of Veterans Affairs.

First responders (police, firefighters, EMTs) “are more likely to die by suicide than in the line of duty,” according to the Ruderman Family Foundation. More than 6 percent of first responders have attempted suicide, a rate ten times higher than the general population, according to Fire Rescue1.

The elevated risk of suicide for these professions may stem from the stress and trauma of the jobs. Being on the scene of dangerous and emotionally draining situations leads to conscious and subconscious psychological damage that can linger for years.

The Ruderman Family Foundation estimated police officers witness about 188 critical incidents during their careers, leading to depression and PTSD rates that are five times higher than the general population.

Operation TRIAGE believes by removing any emergency financial and other burdens from these heroes, we may help turn the tide of suicide and promote Family balance.

Contact Info:

  • Email: info.operationtriage@gmail.com
  • Website: https://operationtriage.org/home
  • Instagram: @operation_triage
  • Facebook: OperationTRIAGE2016
  • Twitter: @OperationTriage

Suggest a Story: VoyageAustin is built on recommendations from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you or someone you know deserves recognition please let us know here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

More in Local Stories